Monday, June 14, 2010

The Joys of Living in the Midwest

It's 11:30 p.m. And I wake to the sound of the phone ringing. Scott reaches across me and answers it. It's his mom.

A quick, frantic exchange before he hangs up.

We're in a tornado warning.

What!?!?

Let's get the babies, he says.

Are you certain? Because they are sound asleep. I mean I know tornadoes are dangerous and all, but they are SOUND asleep.

He fills me in on the rest of what his mom said: a funnel cloud spotted a couple of miles south of us.

You have never seen someone half asleep run so fast. Scoop up one baby. Scoop up the other. Run across the house and quickly down the stairs.

Scott follows a few seconds later with dogs in tow.

My heart is racing. Claire is asleep on my shoulder. Grace is wide awake and smiling.

The weather radio comes on. The funnel cloud has passed us.

Breathe, Katie. Breathe.

2 comments:

H.E.A. said...

HOLY COW!!! I am so glad the funnel didn't affect you.

I love Kansas some days, but NOT on those days!!

Amy said...

Omg I am the same way!!! After the tornado we went through in Manhattan 2 summers ago I am a HUGE chicken!! SO much worse when you have kids too. If the sirens go off, we are in the basement and I am usually crying my eyes out :)